[PSUBS-MAILIST] newbie looking for core starter info

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Mar 11 03:43:49 EDT 2018

Hi Shanee,
welcome along. I don't imagine there is a quick fix for strengthening the
hull. You would have to have either a thicker hull & reinforcing rings or fit
new internal or external reinforcing rings. And then there is the reinforcement
of the conning tower, & penetrations. All that stuff would be quite difficult to
do retrospectively. Would take quite a bit of analysis first.
   You can get down to scuba diving depths by setting the sub up as an ambient
sub. This involves some sort of system to pressurise the inside of the hull
to the same pressure as the water pressure at the depth you are at.
One method of achieving that is to attach modified scuba second stage regulators
to through hulls.
  There are short comings with this as you have a different style of life support
than a 1atm sub in that you have air flowing in at 20 liters per minute per person
rather than O2 & a scrubber. You are breathing compressed air & are subject to the same dive times & stops as a scuba diver. You need a lot of air to equalise the hull,
& everything inside the hull comes under pressure. Particularly vulnerable to this
pressure are the large electrolytic capacitors found in motor controllers. There are
also issues with corrosion as compressed air is forced into any electronic enclosures
& may have a high level of humidity.
Quite happy to answer any further questions. It would be great to see your sub
if you have any pictures or have anything up on the psub projects page.
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad