[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure/depth sensor for ROV project

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Mar 12 08:26:13 EDT 2018

It depends on the accuracy you want.  I looked at the data sheet and the accuracy of the bluerobotic sensor is +/- 2 bar, almost 20 meters or 65 feet.
SSI technologies makes a 300psi sensor with 0.5% accuracy, about +/- 3.5 feet.  They are available from Digikey for $95.  I have been prototyping with these but may turn to Honeywell for actual diving.
Honeywell has the best specifications to produce actual depth accuracy but are more expensive.
Bottom line is that accuracy costs money.  Keep in mind that a given sensor accuracy and subsequent depth calculation accuracy changes based upon the overall range of the sensor chosen.  For example, a 1000psi sensor with 0.5% accuracy will result in +/- 12 feet depth accuracy.  However, note that the 300psi sensor with the same 0.5% accuracy will reduce the overall depth accuracy to +/- 3.5 feet.  So choose a sensor that is as close as possible to the maximum depth you intend to dive, then get as accurate a sensor as you can afford.
Jon