[PSUBS-MAILIST] newbie looking for core starter info

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Mar 12 22:43:15 EDT 2018

I don't think there will be much in the archives, Les did not write much as I recall.  The sub was definitely built for shallow water diving which is what Les and a couple of others in the Michigan area were doing.  They had access to a 30-40 foot deep flooded pit and dove there all the time.  That's why he installed a large flat view port in the front, he knew the vessel was going to be used for shallow dives.  I specifically remember a conversation with him about this at the 2012 convention.  Les was a good guy and I always enjoyed talking with him.  I remember him telling me at that convention that he had essentially lost interest and was going to sell the vessel.  I also see he had some bad luck in 2016; his house burned to the ground and he lost all his possessions.
You could reverse engineer the submarine once you get delivery by measuring it carefully and then feeding the info into the hull and view port calculators available on the web site.  That would be the best way of determining the safe operating depth.  The pictures show there is no internal ribbing which will be a limiting factor for the hull.  I don't recall if Les used acrylic for that large main viewport or what the thickness is.  That would be one thing I would query him for.