[PSUBS-MAILIST] flow meters

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Mar 13 22:55:52 EDT 2018

How an engineer controls the Oxygen level in a Psub

Take HP O2 (2200 psig max) stored in external tank/tanks and bring this
thru the hull using ¼” tubing and have a hull isolation valve on the inside
of the hull.  Bring the HP O2 into a box using Swagelok fittings.  In the
box , use a pressure reducing regulator to drop the pressure to 5-10  psig.
Feed this reduced pressure O2 into a  0-10 SLPM O2 combination mass
controller /meter that you source from ebay.  Control the O2mass rate  into
the boat by sending a 0-5 VDC control signal from either a potentiometer
off a 5VDC regulated power supply or a PLC analog voltage output card.   Put
a Swagelok Vernier needle valve (SS-SS4-VH) in a bypass around the O2 mass
controller for manual control in the event you loose power.  Put a 0-3000
psig O2 pressure sensor to measure the pressure of the HP O2 on the tubing
as it enters the box.  Read the mass rate output signal (0-5VDC) of the O2
in SLPM from the combination mass controller /meter.  Display this on a
analog gage or PLC HMI.  Put the mass controller input signal under the
control of a PID loop with the set point being 20.95 mole percent O2.  Measure
the mole percent of O2 in the cabin as the process variable.  Use an
inexpensive plastic variable area meter (0-5 SLPM) on the LP O2 discharge
as a backup sensor in case you loose power.  This system will hold the O2
mole percent constant in the boat regardless of the size of the pilot or
his/her O2 consumption rate and regardless of the cabin pressure and
temperature in the boat.  Lock out the PID loop if the hatch switch is open.
Set up alarms for high and low O2 levels as per ABS.  Set up alarm for low
O2 tank pressure.  In the same box install cabin pressure and temperature
sensors, a relative humidity sensor, as well as O2 and CO2 mole percent
sensors.  After installing this box in your boat, do extensive shop dives by
getting someone to volunteer to be the guinea pig with the hatch closed and
data log the sensors from the box over a extend period of time say 10 hours.
Tune the PID controller as needed until O2 level remains relatively
constant.

To improve system, add redundant sensors and add PLC ladder logic to detect
bad sensors.  Can also improve system by measuring the O2 mole percent in
the inlet O2 gas stream to make sure it pure O2 and not Argon or some other
gas.

How non engineer controls the Oxygen level in a Psub
When you feel light headed, surface, blow MBT and open hatch.  After head
clears, close hatch and resume dive.

Cliff

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:08 PM, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <