[PSUBS-MAILIST] Licenses for Submarines?

Fri Mar 16 15:33:15 EDT 2018

Required qualifications to operate a submersible are, in general, the same as those required to operate a surface vessel of identical measured tonnage. Namely, the vessel will either need to be licensed or registered in accordance with its power (with under 10 HP skirting both requirements - incidentally, this is why 9.9 HP outboards are a thing), and with the operator meeting the same requirements as a surface vessel operator in your jurisdiction. I am unfamiliar with the specific requirements of California in that regard. Your state may require marine specific qualification, or a driver's license, or nothing.

In Canada, at minimum that is a PCOC (pleasure craft operator card) - the same card that allows one to operate runabouts and jet skis, etc. Commercially, operators are subject to the same certification requirements as masters of surface vessels of identical tonnage, with the exception that a commercial diving qualification of any type (commercial SCUBA, or unrestricted or restricted surface supplied diver) is necessary for a submersible vessel endorsement on the equivalent master certificate.

The vessel must also be in compliance with markings, lights, shapes, sound signals and required safety equipment as required for the vessel size by the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea. The requirements for small craft are not onerous.

Sean