[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pneumatic Manipulator

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Mar 16 22:58:04 EDT 2018

Hi Alan,
I've done a little with pneumatic cylinders and I think it will be very
difficult to achieve any kind of accurate positioning. Pneumatic is fine if
you only need a cylinder to be fully extended or retracted (as is used for
industrial automation) but anything mid way is likely to need a complicated
feedback/control system.

Even considering as a perfect system, if you have varying force/load, to
avoid movement you must have an equally varying pressure in the cylinder.
Increasing pressure in the cylinder doesn't help because you then need to
increase pressure in the opposite side and then the tendency to resist a
disturbing force is not much different anyway. (And if using a single rod
cylinder, the pressures in each end need to be different to achieve the
same force due to area of the piston) Throw in real world considerations of
static friction and dynamic friction and it's harder again to reach and
hold a desired position.

I'm a bit surprised you haven't already ordered a cheap pneumatic cylinder
for some concept testing :).  That should give you a feel pretty quickly if
it's doable or not.

Cheers,
Steve Fordyce

On 17 Mar 2018 7:27 am, "Alan via Personal_Submersibles" <