[PSUBS-MAILIST] 36vdc charger

Wed Mar 28 22:39:27 EDT 2018

The issue with charging multiple cells in series is that small variances in internal resistance of each cell can lead to cell imbalance over time. This also happens to some extent in parallel configurations, but at least then you are controlling the charge voltage across the cell. If you have a sophisticated battery management system which can isolate or switch charge voltage to individual cells, you can significantly extend the working life of the battery, but it may be cheaper just to replace batteries more often. I might give some consideration to high current capability switches to isolate and charge cells independently in the absence of a BMS. If I were constrained to a series battery configuration, I would do all I could to eliminate any resistance between them, such as using large bus bars instead of cables.

Sean