[PSUBS-MAILIST] Press Fit

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 29 05:32:31 EDT 2018

Hi,
I'm wanting to press fit a bearing in to my aluminium thruster housing
& wondering if I could make a tool slightly less in diameter than my bearing,
fit it in the lathes tail stock, & wind it in to force the bearing in to the press fit.
   I have heard figures like 500lb force being used for press fitting, which I
won't get winding the tail stock, & probably don't require as there is not a
lot of dynamic force on the bearing.
   I imagine there will be a lot of trial & error involved getting the bore to
the right diameter, & this method will allow me to keep the work in the chuck
& keep doing fine passes until I get it to the right diameter.
Any thoughts or experience with this thanks.