[PSUBS-MAILIST] Press Fit

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 29 16:49:28 EDT 2018

Thanks for the advice guys.
The bearing diameters are 35 & 24mm.
I went to a lot of fuss last time I did this & ended up having to use loctite as
the last pass on the lathe took too much off.
Emile, I will shoot for .02-.03mm & see how that goes. Have found other advice
saying .03. But found a lot of confusing information googling.
I was intending to heat & freeze parts prior to pressing.
Hugh, I have been using inside callipers & measuring  off these with the digital callipers.
The digital callipers are on the cheap side so may upgrade them & as you say,
purchase telescopic gauges the right size.
Also on my radar is a 10 ton hydraulic hand operated press, as I am also press
fitting the two end sections of the thruster in to a tubular middle section. I am
figuring that with epoxy in the press fit, screws & an epoxy paint finish it should
be water tight without o-rings.
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad