[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED lights

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 13 18:53:42 EDT 2018

Rick, based on my experience, I agree 100% with your electrical guy.  The
problem is any of these high lumen Led arrays will quickly overheat and
destroy themselves if you cannot move the heat away from the array. The LED
lights I have will work continually even when not submerged.  They are
housed in 6061-T6 aluminum case and are 1-atm air.  As Alan mentions, the
key is having the arrays securely mounted to an aluminum base with heat
conducting grease.  This aluminum base has to be designed to conduct the
heat away from the array and into the cooling fins. Fins have to be
designed to convect heat away from heat sink either by forced convection or
natural convection when not submerged.  The problem you are having is the
mineral oil that is surrounding the array just cannot dissipate the heat
fast enough.  If you repeated the experiment with only one change, mounted
the array to a finned heat sink, it probably would have worked just fine.  As
Alan mentions you need a constant current driver.  Also I have had better
luck with higher quality arrays like Bridgelux Vera 29.  These are cheap at
Digikey.
If you don’t want to do the engineering around designing the LED light
system, Hank’s approach works.  Buy and off the shelf light that mates with
your electrical system and hydraulically pressure compensate

Cliff

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <