[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor Suggestion?

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue May 15 23:08:43 EDT 2018

Steve,
thanks for all the info.
Great that you mastered the Vesc. I have someone trying to get
the data off the Vesc for me. He failed using a raspberry pi but
is having more success with an arduino. He intends to display
it on a smart phone. Any chance he could email you if he gets stuck?
My previous tests were with the Saite 6374 60kv.
It wasn't an enclosed motor like the Maytech skateboard motor &
I oil compensated the thruster to help with cooling.
The Saite motor was working a bit like a vein pump & throwing the oil
out of the housing & up the wiring tube. Nevertheless I got 30 hrs of
continuous running out of it. I think I mentioned that I thought the oil
I was using had dissolved the glue on the hall sensor board & put the
timing out, also I hadn't press fitted the propeller shaft well & the motors
rely on a good press fit as they don't have a can bearing to support
the can.
Were you oil compensating them or just running them as is inside a
housing?
I was thinking of drilling holes in the end of the Maytech housing to
facilitate oil flow. I have read of brushless oil filled underwater linear actuators
having their own little circulating propeller to cool the inside of the motor with
oil, & they expound the benefits of being able to fit a smaller motor in the
actuator because of this.
As far as propellers & load goes, I initially went on a propeller calculator but
have been buying props that are used on similar horsepower motors.
I will test these props out & hopefully find something that works efficiently
with the motors! Or at least see what direction I need to be moving with them.
Also complicating things is that I need a prop that is made left & right handed.
There is a bit of information out there on the 8085 motors in the electric surfboard
builders forums. Will make quite a fast DPV!
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad