[PSUBS-MAILIST] scrubber performance

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue May 22 22:02:19 EDT 2018

Hank, see
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJiIXF2JrbAhUPm1kKHWmgA5AQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtic.mil%2Fget-tr-doc%2Fpdf%3FAD%3DADA160181&usg=AOvVaw0P9kLuZ_ll9Sy3A4KEep45
NCSC TECHMAN 4110-1-83(A) pages 8-11 for those factors that affect how the
scrubber performs.  Key items are temperature, relative humidly, and
residence time of the CO2 laden air in the scrubber.  I don't think the CO2
absorption process cares about the level of CO2 in the incoming air.  But
what it does impact the scrubber performance  is changing the flow rate
through the scrubber via the rpm change of the blower motor.  If the
flowrate is to high, the gas channels through the scrubber and there is
insufficient time for the absorption to take place, thus the CO2 level will
climb.  If the flow rate through the scrubber is to low, CO2 generation
could be faster than  scrubber can remove the CO2, thus the CO2 will
climb. See report for suggested minimum and maximum velocity through the
scrubber. What will change in going from one to two persons is that you
have twice (more or less) the CO2 generation thus you need twice the CO2
absorbent on board for a given period of time.  As an example for my boat
(one man), 0.28 lbs of SodaSorbHP per person per hour is required.  So for
a ABS 72 hour minimum, I carry 20 lbs of SodasorbHP.  If I had a passenger
I would need to have 40 lbs of SodaSorbHP on board.

If it were me, I would put two people in the boat and do test at 1600 rpm
and 3200 rpm and see which of these enables you to hold the CO2 ppm below
1000-2000 ppm.  Also need to measure the current to the blower in both
cases to and see if auxiliary battery bank has the capacity to handle this
current for 72 hours.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <