[PSUBS-MAILIST] 12V DC Light Survey

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Nov 9 19:55:55 EST 2018

Steve,
I am using a 48V system but have a constant current buck / boost
LED driver that operates on an input voltage between 12 & 54V.
I had these built for me with a dimmer.
Most of the high powered LEDs run on around 36V. There are a lot
of constant current boost modules on ebay etc that will boost your
12V to 36V. Read the fine print as some times they specify the
addition of a heat sink for high powered use. When I was looking it
was difficult to find a unit with dimming & I think this is important
in low viz where you will get a blinding back scatter on high power.
My unit is 70W & has about 7-8000 lumens output.
I am using two of these flood lights set up like headlights.
If you went with my 70 W system that would mean the LED driver would
be drawing about 6 Amps from the batteries off a 12V system but outputting
about 2 Amps at 36V to the LED.
So if you keep the driver in the hull 2 Amps through the through hull & if the
driver is in the back of the light 6 Amps for a 70W LED.
I recommend keeping the driver in the hull, as the LEDs put out a lot of
heat that can cook the electronics & I know with DC motor drivers they
recommend as short a run of wire as possible from battery to driver.
Cheers Alan