[PSUBS-MAILIST] compass

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Nov 14 18:46:04 EST 2018

My advice then, if you are patient enough, is to mimic my graphics hardware and start with my software package modifying as necessary.  I don't think you are going to find a display for the Arduino that is fancy enough for what you want to do.  You need to jump up to the Raspberry PI if you want serious graphics capability.  With the PI there are numerous options available including a capacitive touch screen display and remote access from your phone, tablet, or computer via VNC.
Unfortunately due to the unique nature of our vessels, programming is going to be required.  The graphics package I use is called "Processing" but you could also use "Python".  I've been a software programmer for 35 years so I found the learning curve for "Processing" pretty easy, but I will say that the program which reads my data and displays the graphics is quite intense.  It's much simpler if you can fit everything you want onto one screen, but gets very complicated when you start dividing things up into different screens.  Nothing is free.  :)
I'm happy to share my code with you and even modify it to produce an "open software" product, which was my intent once I got things the way I wanted them.  That's why I ended up using universal graphic icons instead of text for most of the display options and functionality.  Frankly, I've been away from it long enough that I need to get back into the code and figure out what I did.
Jon