[PSUBS-MAILIST] OTS

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Oct 14 17:51:44 EDT 2018

Hi Hank,

A surface station is part number STX-101. This can be used on the surface or installed in a sub. It uses a hand-held mic and has a speaker. A diver unit such as SSB-2010 is much smaller and of course submersible, but it can also be installed in a sub or used as a surface station with the addition of a “surface conversion kit” (part number CDK-6). This conversion kit consists of headphones with a boom mic, and a cable so the transducer doesn’t have to be on the unit itself.

No matter how many units and whether they are on the surface or in subs, everyone will be able to communicate if you use the same channel. The choice between STX-101 or SSB-2010 comes down, in my opinion, to the space in the sub and whether it’s a 1 person sub. If it’s a 1 person, using a headset and boom mic works well. That’s what Cliff has in R300. The SSB is good because it’s more rugged, takes up way less space, and is cheaper. If you have a larger, multi-person sub, the STX might be better because without the headset you can communicate better with others inside the sub. The headsets are not conducive to conversation in the cabin, because they’re intended to isolate you from ambient noises. You can’t just plug in something like earbuds.

Personally I used to use an SSB with headset, but as Snoopy was a 2 person I left it off my head to facilitate conversation in the sub. The headset has a line out jack, and I used a tiny Radio Shack amp so I could hear if the surface was calling and put the headset on only when necessary. Now, I’ve ditched the headset altogether and still use the little Radio Shack amp along with a hand held mic that I adapted to the SSB with a custom interface. I also use an SSB as a surface station, although in that case it was just to save money!

Best,
Alec