[PSUBS-MAILIST] OTS

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Oct 15 10:12:19 EDT 2018

Rick, we used OTS in the Florida Keys back in 2013 and it was fine however I don't recall what the range was.
I will be using the STX in my K600 but only because I already have one, and have space in the cabin for it although it does take up a surprising amount of interior real estate.  I have noted before, and will again, that I have found a dramatic difference in audio quality between the "stock" STX and SSB with the SSB being superior.  I suspect this is because the STX has it's speaker wrapped in plastic to make it splash-proof which interferes with audio quality.  I am hoping that with headphones or external speaker the audio quality goes way up.
The STX is easier to modify because it uses banana-clips for microphone and headset, however with the right adapter it would be easy to modify the SSB as well if you wanted to use a different set of headphones, microphone, or even external speaker.  For PSUBS purposes, the SSB with surface kit is more adaptable than the STX.
Jon