[PSUBS-MAILIST] compass

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Oct 31 11:00:39 EDT 2018

Alan,
For the most part, it's about accuracy.  This device has been around for many years, it's true, but that's because the specs are very good.  It also performs all the calculations spitting out compass heading, yaw, pitch, in a directly usable format as well as being tilt compensated up to 60 degrees (I think).  It can be mounted in three different planes which isn't so important from a PSUBS perspective but could be critical in some applications.  So for basic compass purposes it is definitely a Cadillac.
There are many cheaper solid state compasses available but few are tilt-compensated and even a little bit of tilt has a major impact on the measurement output.  The tilt-compensation on the HMC-6343 really works well and it was important to me to know that the output I am seeing is as accurate as possible despite any wave action on the surface, or small balance issues under water.
Any IMU with 9 degrees of freedom can be used to accomplish the same thing but they all output raw data that needs to be calculated, twisted, torqued, torched, hacksawed, and then welded back together again.  The HMC-6343 does that all internally and is simple to configure and program.
The link I showed is a Canadian outlet so price is $188(CAD).  USA suppliers have them for $159(US) although they go into short supply occasionally.  Add on an arduino for $35 and a bit of time programming, and you have a nice accurate compass for less than $200(US).
I have mine mounted in a small 1 inch PVC pipe with caps on both ends.  I will probably fill it with epoxy but I suspect the 1-ATM pvc will hold up fine for the depths I'll be at.  And yes, it will be mounted externally, probably 3 feet or so away from the metal hull.  However, with programming I can filter any deflection offset caused by the metal hull.
Jon