[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor testing

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 7 07:19:57 EDT 2018

 Alan,Pretty high tech operation you have going there.  I am curious how many wires it takes to run these?  Hank
    On Friday, September 7, 2018, 4:57:18 AM MDT, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Testing my new motors. I did an amp draw comparison between running them in air
& in a low viscosity silicone oil. I ran them at varying speeds from 150 to 2,400 rpm,
with no load. The speed controller is connected to the computer & I can monitor
the temperature of the motor & esc as well as Watts, Amps, rpm etc.
In air I was only drawing around .2 Amps for the whole range.
In oil strangely enough I was drawing less amps to begin with but this evened up at around 800 rpm. Bearings must have liked the oil. After this the Amp draw went up to 1 Amp at 2,400 rpm. There are veins at one end of the motor for cooling & these agitated the oil quite a bit as the rpm advanced. These are good for circulating the oil for much
needed cooling but were a bit too aggressive. If it weren't for the veins there probably
would be very little difference in Amp draw. I am going to grind off some of these veins
& see how it goes. The oil had a massive advantage in cooling the motor but it looks
like I can only run these motors continually at about 25 Amps off 48V. On higher Amp draws up to 40 Amps the temperature was climbing at nearly 1C every second untill it
hit 80C, at which stage the systems over temperature protection cut back the Amps.
Great to be able to dial in loads & speed on the laptop & get accurate motor performance data back. The screen shot is of the Vesc tool that is free! I know the Vesc
motor controller runs brushed motors but I am not sure what diagnostics you could
use on them.
Cheers Alan