[PSUBS-MAILIST] Triton 6600

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 18 04:35:32 EDT 2018

A bit more information on the latest Triton acrylic sphere, I have heard 3
different thicknesses for the hull, article below...
"The greatest leap forward in the submersible world has been in the acrylic spheres where passengers sit inside. At $500,000, it's also the most expensive component of a submersible. The Triton 7500/3 has the thickest transparent acrylic pressure hull ever produced (12 inches thick), which is capable of withstanding the crushing weight of water at 7,500 feet."Traditionally, acrylic spheres in submersibles have been made by slush casting the material then bonding it. Triton together with two innovative German companies pioneered a new and much better acrylic manufacturing methodology (thermoforming), which results in material that is far stronger, clearer and superior to anything previously made.

"Evonik Industries in Darmstadt manufactures the acrylic block and thermoform discs made of acrylic into hemispheres," Lahey explains, "and a second company Heinz Fritz in Herbrechtingen performs the machining, polishing and bonding necessary to create the finished product.

I presume this is just a massive version of the pressing process that Emile uses for his domes.

Alan