[PSUBS-MAILIST] Mineral Oil substitutes

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Feb 18 22:52:57 EST 2019

Brian,
I have bought a few 20 litre cans of different types of mineral oils that
were recommended to me by industrial chemists. Even though they
were meant to be very pure (low in aromatics) they were softening plastics
when I was using them in motors.
With any alternatives, I would be careful that they don't yellow in time. With
the powerful LEDs they can put out a lot of heat that probably helps with
yellowing & deterioration of plastics.
I am using silicone in my motors. I believe that Emile went over to silicone
for thrusters a while back.
Alan