[PSUBS-MAILIST] SeaQuestor progress.

Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jan 6 13:21:43 EST 2019

Hi David
Could you expand a little on your first sentence? Don't understand. Are you
saying to bend (form) the aluminum flashing to the shape I want the
styrofoam and then draw a hot wire along it to set the cut in the
styrofoam? The flashing must have to be rotated after each pass with the
hot wire from 9 o'clock over the top to 3 o'clock to get the proper shape
and radius for the mold so how do you rotate the flashing plus the flashing
has to pivot on a predetermined axis dependent of what shape you want so
you would have to somehow remove the styrofoam without the hot wire to
attach the formed flashing to the pivot points on both ends of the
styrofoam block?
Rick

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 8:39 PM David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles <

> Hi Rick, use aluminum flashing that you buy from the hardware store as the
> form cut to shape on both ends of the foam block. Draw your hot wire across
> the form, and you can get the exact shape. Play with voltage on your hot
> wire to determine the speed and smoothness of your cut.
> I will be doing the same thing for ballast tanks to fit around my external
> ribs under the exoskeleton.
>
> David
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019, 10:05 PM Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <
>
>> David
>>
>> Have you come up with a method yet for creating your hot wire rig? I have
>> a chunk of Styrofoam that I want to shape for my MBT molds and the first
>> layer has to be the OD of my hull as close as I can get and my concern was
>> that if I use a hot wire/knife, the Styrofoam would shrink away from both
>> sides of the source.
>> Rick
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:32 PM David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles <
>> personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, I aquired 380cf (4) 4ft x 3ft x 8ft blocks of foam for the
>>> exoskeleton shaping process. First I need to build the platform for the
>>> (16) station ribs to be attached at 12" o.c. The station ribs have been cnc
>>> cut from 3/4" plywood and are hanging on the wall ready to be assembled.
>>> Then build a hot wire cutting rig to slice the foam into 11.25" wide
>>> blocks. Then the shaping process can begin.
>>> David