sub the "C-Bug," which is short for "Controlled Buoyancy Underwater Glider."

    From: "Captain Nemo" <vulcania@interpac.net>
    Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:15:22 -0000

...The pressure hull for my NAUTILUS MINISUB is a machine-formed steel
teardrop-spindle shaped vessel with an appended  naviform cabin structure
and streamlined canopy.  Around, about, and upon this pressure hull is an
outer hull which replicates the Disney NAUTILUS.  This replica hull also
encorporates four integral ballast tanks (to simplify this discussion, say
they are generally rectangular in shape) which sit upon the outside of the
pressure hull like "saddle tanks".  Each of these tanks is vented and valved
at it's extremities, top and bottom, fore and aft: two top vents and two
bottom valves per tank; sixteen in all.  They all tie in to a central
plumbing system, and are also connected to a source of high pressure air.
Thus, no matter what angle the sub may sit at, by closing all but the
valve(s) at the lowest point and introducing air, I can blow any of the four
tanks clear.
...And that's how the "hydrobatic" ballast system on my NAUTILUS MINISUB
works:
no matter what angle it gets into, including 90 degrees up or down, and/or
completely inverted; I can still set the valves to blow the tanks dry, and
regain a level attitude.

Take your pick!  "C-BUG" (Controlled Bouyancy Underwater Glider) system, or
"Hydrobatic" ballast system.
I wionder how a person is able to manually control "eighteen" or "sixteen"
valves and
still enjoy the surroundings?  Extreme manual dexterity?  Operating a
backhoe comes
to mind.  Anyway, it does present to the imagination a comical picture.

Q-"Tell me, how was your dive?"
A-"Uhh, busy....real busy!"

Q-"Did you happen to see any curious forms of aquatic life down there?"
A-"Hey...Sherlock!  You writing a book or what?  Leave this part out and
call it a mystery alright?"

LOL,
BigDave