From: Subscuba@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] More Stimulation

John,

Guilty!

I don't like epic flame wars but there seems to be a lot of sensitive egos
out there. Since the site was not active, I couldn't resist. I hope nobody
got offended, at least not too much. It shouldn't be so easy to bear bait.
Just remember I didn't say the line about choking someone's eyeballs out if
trapped in a sinking sub to conserve air. A  famous statement I'll remember
for a long time.

It's still an interesting subject, probably endless discussion. I think a
comparison between the two would be very difficult but for shallow dives to a
bottom of 100 feet maybe the wet sub would be safer? ( Still can't resist.)
The picture would definitely change at 400 feet (trimix?).

I could take the alternate position and state 1ATM subs were deeper diving
without the problems of decompression. This inherently makes the 1ATM subs
much safer.

Since I made a wet sub, I suppose that makes me part of the wet sub
contingent. I don't care, I admire both. I find the 1ATM more appealing from
a technical viewpoint and much more interesting from a cruise viewpoint. Wet
subs are very limited. Carsten's sub in the making is very impressive and his
response was also impressive. I admire his work.

There would be too many variables to make a definite conclusion. Which is
better, getting crushed or bent? It's a little like the Archie Bunker and
Meathead discussion about which is better to put on first. A sock then shoe
or a sock and sock then shoes.

Have fun,

Ken Martindale

PS There is a point to this and it is not to hang your ego out on such a
flimsy limb as a E-mail message. It makes you too vulnerable. Use the delete
key or don't respond. That includes this message or perhaps especially this
message. Enough said.

In a message dated 2/24/01 4:41:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,