Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stimulation

Hi Ken,

>From my Viewpoint there are two things which are difficult underwater
for non military subs :

- fire on board
- catch a rope, net or similar near the bottom.

Both problems are not real for a wet sub, fire on board is limited to
the batterie compartment and if the sub catch something -the pilot/diver
can free it very quickly.

If I get a fire on board of Sgt.Peppers in say 100 feet I get in serios
trouble, the same if I catch a net with the main stern propeller.

>From this viewpoint a wet sub limit to say 100 feet and also limit to
say 20 minutes in this deep is more save than a dry 1 Atm sub.

The only accident I ever have seen with a wet sub was on TV :
It was a beautiful designed small wet sub (in the 60ies)with one diver
in prone position and a dome in the front - the sub himself designed as
a mixture of a shark and a plane. To sidewings with the thrusters.
Very quick and with a good manoveriabilty. The sub attacked the area
of a "white fin reff shark" to test there violents - and the shark
attack the sub - he eat one of the two propellors..

The problems with the wet sub is - they are very limited in
dive deep, dive time and here in our area the coldness of the water.

The North Sea here around Heligoland Island is about 130-160 feet
deep with a medium water temperatur at 4 degrees celsius...
A wet sub under this conditions is maybe save as bycyle on the highway..

On the other side : In the Baltic sea, near the reef in 15-30 feet
deep with 10-15 degrees celsius in the summer - looks better
and much more unexpensive with a wet sub than with a 1 Atm sub.

I think a selfbuild wet sub is possible for about 5.000 Dollars,
a selfbuild 1 atm dry not under about 15.000 Dollars.

Carsten