Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] E-MHD NEWS!

Dear Carsten,
                     I have admired your submarine construction for some
time. I hope that one day I can make my dreams become a reality as you have.
It has been a life-long dream of mine to construct a manned submarine of my
own design.

As for my E-MHD engine, I really can't tell you too much for fear of
violating any possible patentability the device may have. I can tell you
that it employs quite an unusual field geometry to produce propulsion, a
field geometry different to that of any E-MHD engine I have ever seen in the
time that I have been researching it. All my research indicates that it
should produce around the same amount of thrust as a 12 volt brushless DC
thruster for around the same power input. I would need a much larger budget
than I have to construct a life-sized engine that could propel even a small
vessel.

This does not mean that my engine would be extremely expensive to
mass-produce. Imagine having to build a highly efficient and precise
prototype of an electric motor that is quite common. It may cost you $4,000
to build the prototype, whereas the mass produced version would cost no more
than $200. In this way, a life-sized prototype of my engine would be
exremely expensive when manufactured to any level of precision. However, if
it was mass-produced it should be no more expensive (perhaps even cheaper)
than the equivalent electric motor. Engines of this type have many
advantages, as I'm sure you are aware. Very few total parts and no moving
parts means reliability and economy in the long-run. This makes it suitable
as a pump or an engine.

I am sorry that I can't answer any specific questions at this stage, or give
detailed descriptions. I would very much like to, but first I need to see
how patentable it is. I'm sure you can understand that. I would appreciate
any advice anyone could give me about either E-MHD or the path I should take
to market it. I would love to see an engine like this working quietly away
on every small submarine in the world.

Thanks for replying, Carsten! I hope we can keep in touch. I'm sure I will
be emailing you asking you some questions about sub technology pretty soon.
Cheers!

Rich