[PSUBS-MAILIST] No more gel-coat!

As I may be getting kicked out of the group soon, I thought I'd better share this last bit of info before I go. It has to do with drag reduction. Gel-coat and similar coatings on your submarine cause what is known as a boundary layer. This a layer of slower moving water against the surface of the vessel. Studies by various groups have shown that haing an extremely rough surface creates microscopic turbulance on the surface, thus breaking-up the boundary layer and reducing drag dramatically. It is for this reason that sharks have such rough skin.

Other fish do not have rough skin, because unlike the shark, they use their boundary layer to contribute to their propulsion. They generate the laminar-flow with their whole bodies, whereas the sharks only use their tale. So coat your subs in sand-paper and you'll be okay!! lol

Rich