Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] In my search for a simple, cheap pressure hull ...

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:42:14 EST
AndrePevestorf@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated Tue, 6 Nov 2001  8:52:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, Ian Roxborough <irox@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > Material definition for GRP (fiberglass matting):
> >
> > E = Young's Modulus : 65GPa or 9427121 psi
> > Poisson's Ratio : 0.35
> > Yield Stress : 1200MPa or 174039 psi
>
> Hi,
>
> are You sure? In my opinion the tensile strength is about
> 120 - 320 MPa ... can GRP realy yield...???

Do you have any references I could checkout? (note I
quoted my information source for people to check out).

This web page is almost an exact reproduction of
the part of the book I referred to earlier:

http://www.mech.port.ac.uk/CTFR/concept/concept5.htm
(well worth a read BTW)

When I converted the units from SI to psi I did
a search on the web and checked my results against
that published on some web sites, things seemed pretty
close to mine.

However, to answer your first question, NO, I'm not sure,
and I intend conduct some distructive tests to find out.

Ian.

--
Stop killing everything.