Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] In my search for a simple, cheap pressure hull ...

--- Ian Roxborough <irox@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> 3) Doesn't shaping all that wood add extra work to the
> pressure hull construction?  More so if you are constructing
> a spherical pressure vessel.

Doesn't welding all that steel add work?  No free lunch!

Ply, and other sheetgoods, can only be flexed into cylinder sections or conical
sections, or a few other similar shapes.  To a very slight degree, ply can be
"tortured" - that is to say, stretched - into additional shapes.  But cylinders
are the basis of most hull designs, in part because sheet steel is a sheet
good.

I wouldn't sweat the geometry on this basis, I'd sweat it for can-it-do-the-job
reasons.  Getting the shape built is the easy part, in wood.

-L

=====
"It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't."
             - Yogi Berra
=====