[PSUBS-MAILIST] Idea for homebrew CO2 absorber

Hello,

I am a new member, my name is Paul. I have recently signed up for the
mailing list. I may one day build a submarine (if I still have the desire
and the money falls right). Right now I am gathering information and ideas.

I was wondering if anyone thought of using lime milk ( Ca(OH)2 * H2O ) as
base for homebrew CO2 absorber. You could use a regular clear plastic bottle
(like they use for soda) and run something like an aquarium bubbler in it.
The reaction should follow as this:

Ca(OH)2 + CO2 -> CaCO3 + H2O
CaCO3 + H2O + CO2 -> Ca(HCO3)2

Calcium carbonate ( CaCO3, chalk) is unsoluble.
Calcium hydrocarbonate ( Ca(HCO3)2 ) IS soluble. So when the reaction goes
far enough, instead of milky substance you should see clear water — that
will be a sign to change the absorber.

The backdraw is that you have to put all your air through the water based
solution, which will put more moisture in the air.

Dead lime should be dirt cheap. And if my calculations are correct, 72 grams
(about 3 and a half oz.) should get you rid of more than 40 liters of CO2 —
that's 2 hours of one person breathing.

What do you guys think? Or is this nonsense?

Sincerely, Paul.