Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] On sub rescue....

I believe the DSRV has an "O" ring in it's mating surface.
Rick
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:45 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] On sub rescue....

     I've been thinking lately, ever since that latest near disaster with the Russian mini-sub, and I have a question.
      If I'm correct, if a big sub hits the bottom, and a DSRV or something is to attempt a rescue, generally the idea is for the docking collar on the DSRV to mate with the "mirror" (read:highly polished steel surface) which runs around the outside of the escape trunk hatch on the disabled sub, right?  Then the water in the docking collar on the DSRV side is pumped out, and it pretty much "sucks down" to the mirror due to the difference in pressures between the ambient sea pressure and the now nearly 1atm in the docking collar, and this is when the hatches can be opened and the submariners in theory live happily ever after, right?
So, basically, it's the much greater outside pressure which creates the seal between the two metal surfaces which have mated, and this is enough to keep the water out, correct?  Even with it being a bare metal to metal mating surface, with no o-rings or anything?
     If this is the case, does the depth at which this operation occurs, and hence the pressure involved, play a role in the integrity of the seal between the mated surfaces?   In other words, when comparing a sub rescue done with this method at say, 1000 fsw, to say, 200fsw, will the lesser pressure at 200 ft mean a weaker seal?
     I'm just curious about the mechanics involved.

                                                                           Chris

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.