Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:56 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressable ballast tanks

In our system the regulator keeps the vbt pretty much qt 15 psi above ambient. As you descend it automatically. On ascent we use the buoyancy of the VBT to begin the ascent. During that time we apen the vbt vent valve to release the pressure from the tank as you ascend. If you forget to do this, you will be reminded by the hissing noise of the pressure relief valve.At about 600 ft we open both flood and vent valves to use the vbt as a brake, in order to maintain control of ascending rate.

Hugo