RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressable ballast tanks

Title: Message
Rick,

I don't think that a bilge pump has enough power to pump against the head pressure at depth, and if they do your flow capacity would be greatly diminished. If your regulator fails, you will not be able to pump water out.. Also most bilge pump housings are made of plastic and the motor housings would implode and flood under ambient pressure as you descend. Bilge pumps are basically centrifugal pumps which are not really suitable to operate against a lot of pressure.  I personally wouldn't use it. But again, this is each individual's choice.

One of the important aspects in the design of a VBT system is that it should work to 1.25 times of its mawp (maximum allawable working pressure). This is not an arbitrary number. This is designed as a safety margin and to ensure that the variable ballast system will function in the event that you end up by accident deeper than you intended to.

Hugo

On another note this is for the entire group in general.....

There is a lot of material out in the reference books in the reference material section of the PSUBS web site with lots of information on proven manned submersible systems designs that are guaranteed to work and which are reliable. I don't want to discourage anyone here, however, sticking to proven designs and keeping it as simple as possible for your application will save the prospective psub builder a lot of grief and headaches. If the psub builder is adamant to build a submersible with innovative designs into the submersible's systems which have never been proven to work reliably in real world applications he should do a thorough testing of his design under the same conditions he expect to dive.

I strongly suggest that anyone building their own submersible thouroghly study (not just read) and at least try to understand the reasoning  behind the ABS or Lloyds guidelines for designing and building manned submersibles. These guidelines are there for the safety of the human lives in the submersible as the primary concern. They were created as a result of accidents that cost the lives of people who were smart, but who did not put safety in the first place. NEVER ASSUME THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE OK. If a sub builder goes about designing and diving submersibles with the mentality that "this will never happen to me" he is putting himself (and others) in a very precarious situation.  I hate to be the one that keeps bringing this up, and I am sorry if I am raining on someone's parade. It distresses me greatly when I feel that safety is given a second place ahead of cost and ingenuity, and I would hate to see any Psubber involved in a fatal accident.

Like Forest Gump would say... "That's all I have to say about that"

regards,

Hugo