Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressable ballast tanks

Title: Message
Hi, Hugo . . . thanks for the observations.  You bring up some good points, most of which I hope to address here.

I don't think that a bilge pump has enough power to pump against the head pressure at depth, and if they do your flow capacity would be greatly diminished.

Assuming ambient pressure, I'm not sure what the role of head plays.  A tiny bilge pump (ideal for a VBT) moving 450 gph is recommended for discharge up to 2 metres in height.

 If your regulator fails, you will not be able to pump water out..

I intend to avoid this particular problem by tapping into the cockpit (i.e.: ambient air) with a passage of some sort.  Magical Child will have a bank of 5 regulators acting in unison (mainly to provide emergency air flow during an uncontrolled descent).  There will be built-in redundency with all these regs.

In addition, because the VBT will have a line connected to the ambient air I can use the pony (bail-out) bottle in the cockpit to vent the VBT by depressing the exhaust button on the reg straight into the cockpit.  That'll force water out of the VBT through the interconnecting passage.

In essence, all that will be happening is that water or air will be allowed into the cockpit itself, but behind a bulkhead to keep us dry.

Also most bilge pump housings are made of plastic and the motor housings would implode and flood under ambient pressure as you descend.

I'm hoping the Rule or Jabsco pumps will have sufficient thickness in the motor housing wall to accomodate a compensating line to the cockpit manifold.  If not I'll have to build some up with metal and epoxy.

the safety of the human lives in the submersible as the primary concern.

I agree totally.  That's why I decided to build an ambient sub.

It truly is a submersible boat and not a submarine.  Avoided are all the problems associated with pressure vessels.  A strong understanding of underwater physics and human physiology is critical to a successful design.

During sea trials I'll be working with backup divers in good vis, will have only myself and one big sandbag in the passenger seat, will be testing in less than one atmosphere of water close to shore, will be wearing my dry suit complete with pony bottle, mask and snorkel and will be able to egress using the hatch.  In addition, Phil Nuytten offered to use his facility to "tea-bag" her.  So I'll have his somewhat expert opinion and those of his co-conspirators.  All in all not a bad scenario.  I just hope they don't kill themselves laughing.

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver