Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressable ballast tanks

Hi, Bill - just to let you know that you are in good company.  Your idea was proposed a long time ago (c. 1500's) by William Bourne.  He used leather as a membrane that was to be activated by a screw.

Rick L
----- Original Message -----
From: Akins
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compressable ballast tanks

Hi Rick.

Basically I got the idea for the moving bottom scuba tank from thinking about how a stick deodorant tube or a woman's lipstick tube works.

Thinking about how the bottom moves up as you use them. But after I wrote that post I started thinking

that the water pressure wouldn't automatically move the bottom upwards because there would still be too much pressure in the tank

even with it appraoching empty for the water pressure to move the bottom upwards without some sort of mechanical

device or hydraulic device to force the bottom upwards like a woman's lipstick tube will not raise unless the bottom is cranked

mechanically . It was a scuba tank idea I had that I wrote about without totally thinking it thru. Oh well, at least it might

work for ballast tanks even though it wouldn't be practical for a scuba tank. Like you said, one of those napkin sketch thoughts over coffee,

sometimes they are good ideas, sometimes not. Plenty of napkins though. Grin.

Bill Akins.