Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: ambient design query

One way around this would be to colour all interiors in flat black, including clothing.  Tropical climates would require light clothing at the surface and instrument shields from the sun.  Glare shields over instruments would help keep gauge lighting off the canopy while u/w.

Rick L
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: ambient design query

Dan, I'm interested in window size also.  Here's what Sportsub, http://www.sportsub.com, has to say about the size and placement of windows in their subs:

Why are there no overhead or rear facing windows?

Any light that is allowed to enter the cockpit will cause reflections and actually reduce visibility.

Detail:  Most underwater environments are dimly lit because light filters down from the surface.  This surface light must be kept out of the cockpit or it will cause reflections.  It would be somewhat like driving a car at night with the interior light on.  Anything bright in the cockpit would be reflected by the front windows, causing a ghost image to appear in the pilot's field of view.