Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Curved surfaces and ballast release

Joe, for a pilot you sure are catching on quickly.  This isn't exactly your turf, but, so far you've made more sense than some of the stuff I've seen.  I get the impression you actually want to solve some problems and not just ramble on about concepts.  :-)

I hear you, lot's of similarities. I am envisioning the longitudinal supports (minor stringers) only to maintain a fair surface since the framing is in essence, a plug. Still, I would like to not have to do that, but I cant see how to laminate the thin layers without them?

But, longitudinal support (major stringers) in addition to the monocoque skin is also length and weight dependent is it not?

OK, now - the longitudinals.  If the skin is thick enough they should be self forming around the bulheads.  I'll be using so many of them that the skins really will have no place to go than around the edges.  Very thin sheets would require skantling for sure.

Any ambient ply design is going to need a "boatload" of lead. You and I need to be careful about structural integrity with regard to the concentrated ballast (and it's going to be a lot!). I don't think I could get away with purely monocoque at my length and be comfortable in any kind of wave action.

I'll be keeping my lead right under my seat.  I'm visualising the cockpit/lead setup as a balloon/weight analog.  The heavier built cockpit will take the stresses entirely.

As you so aptly pointed out, in a seaway the changing stresses could lead to difficulties.  Magical Child's twin keels (mainly for bottoming) will run from far aft right up forward.  Inside the nosecone I'll be using bracing in the form of ply sheet to take hard wave action.  I'll be transferring the loads (on the inside of where the external keels meet the hull) adjacent to the twin keels.

A 15 footer like MC has a completely different set of stressors than your Nautilus.  Same concept, but the load!!!

Clear my mind, will you? Are you still envisioning that 35 footer?  Or have you actually decided to downsize for the first one?

Rick L