Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]( ebc) ectronic buoyancy control

Hi, Giuseppe . . .

SportSub was originally designed and manufactured in Surrey, B.C., Canada.  I visited the plant and got a few surprises.

One was that the lifting point was built right into the fibreglass.  I expected metal bracing - something.  Of course that showed more my ignorance of fibreglass construction than anything else.

The other thing was that no matter how ugly a submarine is, it is cool.

The SportSub did/does have an automatic buoyancy control that was electronic.  The electronic controls were designed by a fellow by the name of Hugh Daskin.  He used to (still does?) teach a course in how to design a submarine, again, here in Vancouver.  I've been out of touch with him for a long time so . . .   I Googled him and the only thing that came up was a post I sent to PSUBS back in 1999 about battery boxes!!
http://www.psubs.org/mlist/archive/9907/msg00108.html

Personally, I feel that the use of electricity underwater should be kept to a minimum.  As you know, second stage regulators are extremely reliable and are sensors all by themselves.  I'm using five of them only because I need the extreme flow capabilities in case of a rapid descent.  My dry cockpit (two person), even though quite strong, will not be a pressure hull.  It won't be able to withstand large pressure extremes.

If you prefer the electronic route, it's possible to use a float at the end of a rod that is connected to a potentiometer.  Connect it to a gauge and life's is good.  Electronics is not my strong area so I stay away from it.

Gratsi per la complimento!!  ;-)

Riccardo L