From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Cliff Redus
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 11:22 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pursuing safety without accident data

Doug,

Thanks for your insightful comments on how to progress safety in our PSUB community.  My terse digestion of your comments boil down two a few key points:
  1. focus on the precursors to accidents, and shift from outcome measures to process measures
  2. psubs community could implement this "focus on the precursors to accidents" by establishing an area on the website for lessons learned, common mistakes, safety observations.
  3. psubs community could implement a process oriented safety focus by encouraging adherence to "a set of best safety practices for designing, fabricating, testing, operating and maintaining psubs" such as design guides developed by ABS, Lloyd's,   PVHO.
I for one concur and think we do a lot of this through the existing forum.  There is however, a missing piece, the independent review.

If you actually try to get your new  psub certified as A1 by ABS, then an independent review of your design would be conducted by an ABS inspector that would go over every aspect of the design and then be present for certain milestones of the fabrication and testing.  This normally requires a lot of iterations on the design, were ABS questions an issue, and designer defends design with technical backup.

The problem is cost.  Most psubbers are willing to follow design guidelines such as ABS the best they can but do not want to fork out the big bucks that buys the time to conduct the detail independent review and the onsite monitoring of fabrication and testing.

The part that I see is missing then (assuming you are not independently wealthy) is the  independent safety review.  In the oil and gas industry in the US, they use something called Process Safety Management (PSM).  After the detailed design work is done but before the design in implemented, a team is brought together to conduct the Process Safety Review.  This  team includes the designer,  plus a diverse set of outsiders such as instrumentation techs, experience operations folks, electricians,  engineers etc. They meet for a day or so and go ever aspect of the design asking a lot of "what if" questions focused around safety. As an example, for a process vessel design, someone might ask, what would happen if a particular control valve stuck, or what happens if a pressure sensor goes out or what happens if the pressure relief valve fails.  These PSM reviews almost always generate a list  of items that need fixing that the designer just did not think of or was not aware of.    A safer design is almost always the byproduct of this kind of review.

I toyed with the idea of conducting a Process Safety Review for my boat after I had completed all the design work and documentation.  I considered flying a few fellow psubbers in for a weekend to do the review.  In the end, I did not follow through as did not want to pay the expense.  What I did in stead was to package all of design documentation and prints for my boat and send them to a fellow psubber that had actually built a boat who agreed to review the work.  I then, via email, answered many, many questions over a 3 month period.  This feed back identified several weaknesses in my design that I subsequently addressed in the final design.  While this approach was not as comprehensive as having  ABS involvement and it does not result in an ABS A1 classification of my boat, it has I think helped in improving the overall design and safety of my boat.

How did I meet the fellow psubber, of course by attending a Psubs convention.

Cliff