Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pursuing safety without accident data

I'd expect a lot of people would be in agreement on producing a set of guidelines as described by Cliff and the idea of design reviews sounds good to me.  I think it's mostly a question of how to move these solid, very professional procedures from government and for-profit corporations into the hobbyist, amateur world.

Should PSUBS put together a collection of guidelines?  Some informal information is available in the PSUBS Design Guidelines and Tools page but the ABS, Lloyds, etc. information should be referenced too.  Maybe just a well organized index of where to find these documents, and what to do with the information.  For example, which guidelines apply to which stage of your project.

Regarding the independent design review, some thoughts are:
1) It'd be an interesting chance to review another person's hard work,
2) A lot of work.  Much time would be needed to properly review a design,
3) A large responsibility considering the human life risk,
4) Could it be formalized into a PSUB Design Review document?

A Design Review doc could be a useful 'study guide' both for PSUBers working on their designs, and for a review committee looking at a design.  Maybe a set of checklists, required drawings, and an 'essay' section for describing procedures?

Collecting design and operational guidelines sounds like a much larger effort than just collecting incident reports.  I myself could help design and build a web application to collect and present incident reports in a structured way.

Paul