Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pursuing safety without accident data

Hi,

But just think. The newbies would pay us big bucks to
fly us out and certify  that their sub complies with
our standards. Kind of a morphed PSUBS/ABS bureaucracy
monster. :)

Actually we have touched on this topic repeatedly over
the last 9 years. We could be sued for anything. If an
accident occurs on a sub that was built to our
standards. We could lose the court fight. Well, really
who in PSUBS would be held financially responsible.
Probably Jon and myself.

Therefore PSUBS would insist on surveying every sub
personally to make sure it was really built to our
standards. Just looking for an opportunity to deny
certification, hence deny responsibility. Remember
that ABS does not certify a sub is safe. ABS only
certifies that a sub was built to their standard. We
could adopt the same CYA approach.

Or we could just do what we have decided over the last
9 years. Use any information at your own risk. Use
existing standards. We recommend you consult a real
engineer.

Personally I think a workable standard is a admirable
goal. The bureaucracy to enforce the standard would
drive any backyard builder away. Kind of like ABS. How
many of you are ABS certified? Cost is probably the
number one reason.

Regards,
Ray

http://mail.yahoo.com