Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:10 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] motor pressure comp

GUYS:

    I have heard a lot of discussion over thruster motor and sealing requirements. I see the easiest way to stop the flooding problem is with pressure compensation of the housing. this can be done with an active system i.e. using high pressure air or a passive system using oil and a balance piston. the only problem with oil is that you get about a 20% reduction in power due to the resistance of the oil on the rotor. This can be minimized by filling the voids in the rotor with low density epoxy.

    you should use dielectric transformer oil for this purpose, it can be had from any high voltage transformer repair shop or good pump motor repair shops. see attached drawing for a simple layout, it is in my pictures of my frappr.  I have test tanked a minnkota to 2000 psi or 4000 ft with this setup. The key is to make sure that the piston is balanced

rick m
http://www.frappr.com/?a=myfrappr&id=386116