From: Chip Will
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient / 1ATM Q?

If you are familiar with scuba equipment, it can work sort of like a regulator second stage.

A penetration through the hull is sealed with a heavy rubber membrane.

On decent, pressure from outside the hull presses against the rubber membrane. The flex of the membrane inward presses against a lever valve that bleeds air into the hull interior. As the pressure equalizes between the outside water prerssure and the interior, the membrane moves back to a nuetral position stopping the air flow.

On accent, excess pressure on the interior flexes the membrane outward, pushing on a second lever valve on the outside of the membrane which allows pressure inside to bleed off on accent.

The problem would be making sure the flow rates of the valves are enough to keep up with the accents and decents.

Just an idea...

Chip