From: Rick and Marcia [mailto:empiricus@telus.net]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 5:20 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic vs polycarbonate

I was given a demonstration today of how acrylic (Plexiglas) fails compared to polycarbonate (Lexan).  It fails suddenly and catastrophically.

Is there any reason not to use polycarbonate instead?  Much more expensive, but, according to the staff member of the plastics company who did the demo, it's about 100 times stronger than acrylic and much more flexible.  Other than not being as scratch resistant, is there any other technical reason not to use poly?

Rick L
Vancouver, Canada