From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Cliff Redus
Sent:
Wednesday, 1 February 2006 1:26 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Propeller Shafts

I concur with Dan,

A single or double mechanical cartridge seal used on pumps are the way to go especially for higher shaft rpm. These seals will normally handle 200+ psi differential pressure with ease. Use a single mechanical cartridge seal for a low speed shaft and a double mechanical seal for high speed.  With a double mechanical seal, there are two sets of carbide mechanical seals separated by a barrier fluid that is typically held at 20-30 psi above ambient pressure. This makes any leaks (drops) go outboard rather than inboard.   Utex  http://utexind.com/main.asp makes a nice line of single and double mechanical seals that are similar to the John Crane seals mentioned by Hugo except they are about half the cost and use the same bolt arrangement.  For my boat I went with a Utex Liberator II , double mechanical seal for a 1" diameter shaft.  I use a marine propylene glycol / water 50-50 mixture (v:v) as seal barrier fluid.  The propylene glycol is used rather than ethyl glycol (antifreeze) because it is non toxic with the same cooling capability as  ethyl glycol.   If I were selecting a seal for low speed shaft, I would go with a single mechanical cartridge seal because heat generation is not an issue. If you speak with any of the seal manufactures, they will walk you through ordering the correct seal materials for the faces. They will also give you the dimensions of the cavity that needs to be machined in the inboard side of the stern tube.  One other argument for the double mechanical is seal is safety.  If one seal fails for any reason, you still have the other seal.

Cliff