Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Mafia drug sub

Hello Bill
the problem with smugling submarines is not new.  They
are in use since 1988 as I can remember.  Most of this
ship are not really submarines but semisubmarines,
they can not dive but they are very low so that they
can not be detected by radar or active sonar because
the waves are higeher. Similar to the davids of the US
civil war. Since 2000 there are also real submarines
in this business.  They are used for transport the
stuff from the coast to high sea were it is put in
other ships that carry it to the destination.
The sourroundings of Tumaco are controlled by the Farc
who is the one who is in charge of the business.  No
body is going to bother them in this activity.
As far as I know the last two submarines were builded
in the mangrove swamps.  And they were of fiberglass.
About one of this boats is dicovered every year.
These people have a lot of money and that is the fuel
of the civil war in Colombia.

The most sofisticated submarines are being used in
Mexico but until now I could not find any information
about them.

In this kind of thing you must think: "if there is
money almost ever thing is possible".
Best wishes
Jürgen

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16879683&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=drug-cops-foil-mafia-subterfuge--name_page.html