[PSUBS-MAILIST] Docking ?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone in the group has an answer to this question, or would like
to talk about the idea further....

Have any two, manned 1-atm submersibles ever docked? And I mean more in the
space, Apollo-Soyuz manner, where you could transfer people/supplies from one
vessel to the next. I've seen designs for underwater habitats that speak of
docking, however not vessel to vessel docking (unless a rescue dive for a downed
submarine - where a somewhat different concept is being applied).

In theory it seems like a relatively *simple* procedure, even for 1-atm subs,
being an extension of the level of technology used in many of your ballast
system designs, or more so in some of the diver entry systems in place on a few
PSUBS. From an engineering perspective, I think it would be very interesting to
see two PSUBS demonstrate a docking capability while submerged, even if only
while at a shallow depth.

What would be the gain in attempting such a procedure? As an engineer, I'd say
simply to show it could be done. Not that there would be a lack of applications
down the line, however :)

~ Daniel