Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Water nozzle propulsion

I wonder what would be more energy efficient, in terms of Amps. 4 electric motors direct-driving props, or two electric motors each driving 1 hydro pump, with each pump driving two props?

Also, I've been thinking about gearing and props. An elecric motor driving a shaft to a ring-and-pinion gear which turns a large, multi-bladed prop. Exchanging torque for speed, since we shouldn't need fast-spinning props on slow-moving subs. I'd be thrilled if I had a sub that went 5 knots even. I'd be terrified of currents, of course. I've been in currents that were considerably greater than 5 knots while out on the boat.