Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Brass vs. Bronze

I have made several parts for my sub project, including a gear box.  The lost foam process that Jon describes is the easiest especially when using Petro-Bond (oily sand) as the refactroy.  To see details; select  Lost Foam in Petro-Bond   from the top of this page:
http://www.submarineboat.com/sub/foundry.html .  There are lots of examples of things you want to avoid on this page too!   I have only worked with aluminum so far, and I think its a good starting point. Brass,  Bronze and Iron require significantly more heat.  If you dont want to get into casting your own parts you can get professional quality custom parts at a big savings by creating your foam parts and then sending them off to be cast.

Best
Doug