Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Brass vs. Bronze

Re: Cast hulls and Deepflight !:
        Coincidently ( to this post) I have Deepflight sitting next to some
of the first Deep-Water cast aluminum hulls made, in the sub museum storage
area - The alum. sub is a high speed hunter/killer called 'Moray' that was
built at the China Lake, California in  1964. Six 60" hemis were cast (four
to form the twin hull spheres and two to be tested to failure) with a
nominal 1.5 inch thickness and hatch and port/penetrator plate bosses four
times that thick. Moray was conservatively designed for  a 6,000 foot
working depth and a cruise speed in excess of 15 knots. The sub had a
potential depth rating more than double the 6K figure and the 100 hp
torpedo motor that is its main propulsor easily reached speeds of 20 knots
in trials and had a theoretical maxiimum considerably in excess off that
figure. You can check it out in Will Foreman's book om US subs - also in
Busby.
        Cast hulls are far from unique - the Newtsuits are cast of 6061-T
alum. and have a minimum wall thickness (in the torso) of 3/8" - = the 1250
foot depth rating is conservative - we tested one of the first hulls to
failure well in excess of 3500 feet. The new Exosuit is cast alum. plus
titanium and composite fiber. The Wasps were cast alum. plus mandrel wound
GRP (fibreglas) and so on. The battery pods on our subs DeepWorker are
forged alum. and titanium - although they could easily have been cast at a
weight penalty..
        No mysteries in cast hulls -  just a question of
size,weight,desired depth - in other words - the usual trade-offs.
Don't forget the 'Mother of all cast sub hulls' - Aluminaut!
Phil Nuytten