From: Joey C.
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Escape Mockup

Joe:

Haha, I?ve had every ?mad scientist? card pulled out on me.

He used a light aircraft fuselage simply for that?however, it was meant to be a focus training for submersible operations. The one he wanted to build had a manual valve which would open and allow the water to fill the sub. He used Alvin?s ?plug? type hatch, which meant that opening it against the force of a lot of water is quite a feat ? if at all humanly possible. Me and him sat down at a Starbucks together and designed a seat similar to an ejection seat, but instead was a diving pack you put on before descending. If there was an emergency, just put the mask on, fill the sub, open the hatch, and go up. He had two hatches: one on the top and one on the bottom of the sub. Both were plug types.

I am trying some ideas out on my submarine, but like Alvin, I will have strong regulations and standards. Since I?ve dedicated a lot of time in my subbing career to ROV?s, I?ve included a separate garage for an ROV to attach to. This would allow my submarine to park itself either on the floor, or what have you, while an ROV would investigate whatever target I choose.

As part of my submarine, I?m including a large server built on board because I want the camera visuals to go three ways: directly to the pilot of the submarine and the occupant?s, then on to the on-board server where it will be stored, and then sent via surfacing cable back up to the surface. Think of the server as a black box, per se, where everything we see is recorded and can be logged, versus a lot of designs that require the data [video, pics, etc] to be sent to the surface and being analyzed.

Depending on the size of my actual submarine, I?m aiming for a two person crew with a folding down jumpseat for an observer.

Great Talking!

-Joey